How much does it cost to install a roof access hatch?
The price of a roof hatch depends on which type you choose.
One of the most common questions we hear at AHSS is, “How much does it cost to install a roof access hatch?”
It’s a good question.
Roof access hatches are designed to provide safe and convenient access to commercial roof areas. While they are often used for high-end construction projects, they can also provide a handy solution for homeowners who want to gain safe internal access to roof-mounted equipment.
That said, not all access hatches are created equal. Therefore, costs can vary.
There are two main types of access hatch:
Knowing the features and benefits of each is crucial not only to ensure compliance with Australian Standards, OHS legislation and State regulations but also to get the best purchase price.
Want a quick overview of roof access hatch costs and types? Call our expert team on 1300 850 121 for an obligation-free discussion about your height safety needs.
Our team can supply and install both hinged and sliding access hatches – but we prefer sliding access hatches.
Sliding access hatches have many advantages over hinged access hatches:
- The unrestricted opening makes transferring materials onto the roof safer and easier
- These hatches slide along a strong steel rail system that is both weatherproof and secure
- They are suitable for all roof types and are fully customisable
- The hatch lid won’t slam shut in the wind
- They have a low visual profile
- There’s no additional financial outlay for gas refills or maintenance
At AHSS, this is the approximate cost of sliding roof access hatches:
|800 x 1000 mm||$1,900|
|1000 x 1500 mm||$5,000|
We use high-quality Sayfa products that are suitable for domestic, commercial and industrial applications. They are made from high-quality aluminium, steel or stainless steel, and are designed to withstand the harsh Australian climate.
There are some circumstances in which a hinged access hatch may be more suitable for your needs; for example, if you are on a very limited budget. The cost of hinged access hatches is lower:
- Approximately $1,800 for a 800 x 1000 installation
The difference in cost between roof access hatch types is not much. The main issue with hinged access hatches is that they typically have gas-operated struts that automatically open and close the hatch lid. The problem with this set-up is that the gas-operated struts can sometimes leak gas, run empty, or not work. This can land you and your workers in serious strife, particularly if the lid locks from the inside.
What’s more, hinged access hatches only open up to 90 degrees, which means the wind can unexpectedly blow the hatch lid down. While they may be cheaper in terms of initial financial outlay, when it comes to long-term expense, they are a less reliable choice than sliding access hatches.
The good news is that, if a qualified technician has professionally installed your access hatch, no maintenance whatsoever will be required, unless a manufacturing problem occurs and this needs repairs.
The great news is that, regardless of which access hatch type you get installed, the installation process is likely to take no more than 3–4 hours.
Here’s what happens:
- You select which type of roof access hatch you want to have installed. We can help you decide – shoot us a message to discuss your budget and safety requirements. There are many things you should consider when selecting an access hatch, including the purpose of the hatch, whether it’s a new or retrofit installation, its location, appearance, and total cost.
- Our experienced team will inspect your premises and provide you with a written description of the roof access hatch required to achieve OHS compliance and the installation cost. We will choose the correct location for your access hatch – generally, far from the roof edge, with secure internal access and neat clearance from other roof installations.
- On installation day, we’ll cut the penetration from the roof and fix the hatch to the penetration.
- Next, we’ll install a roof hatch guardrail to provide protection and fall prevention when the access hatch is in use.
- We’ll ‘flash’ the hatch to ensure it’s waterproof and add a grab-rail for getting in and out of the hatch.
- We inspect the installation to ensure industry standards compliance and safe roof access.
- We present a plumbing compliance certificate to you, which guarantees the regulatory compliance of all our installations.
Why choose AHSS?
We can help you decide between roof access hatches for domestic, commercial and industrial purposes that won’t break the bank. The variety of sizes and options we have available ensures that we can supply an access hatch solution that is right for you.
If you’re still not sure whether to go for a hinged access hatch or a sliding access hatch, we can inspect your premises and recommend the right solution for your unique circumstances, as well as checking your height safety compliance.
Many different places offer roof access hatch installation, but at AHSS, we have more than 25 years of experience in height safety and fall prevention. Our team comprises expert technicians, including licensed plumbers, who can come to your premises and chat with you honestly about height safety and fall prevention.
We guarantee the compliance of all our fall prevention systems with Australian height safety standards and regulations. When dealing with an issue as serious as height safety compliance, we don’t cut corners.
If you’re looking for a quick and professional quote, contact us on 1300 850 121 or use our online contact form to request a basic cost overview.